Since before I can remember, every fall we would head to upstate New York to go apple picking as a family. It’s a tradition that began before I was born and has continued to this day.
Now, we live on Long Island, New York. We have our pick of plenty of orchards locally, but for some reason we always made that trip upstate to do our picking. Perhaps it’s the way the trees begin changing colors weeks before they do, down here on the island or maybe it’s the feeling of adventure we get from traveling a greater distance? Whatever it may be, it’s a tradition that I cherish and look forward to year after year.
With apple picking comes, well, apples of course! Lots and lots of apples!! They’re one of my favorite fruits and my favorite ingredient for sweet treats! Between homemade applesauce and mom’s apple pie, I can’t get enough of them!
The other great thing about apple picking is the freshly made cider donuts and in house made apple cider. We always grab extra donuts and at least one jug of apple cider before heading back home.
Now, that apple cider tastes great on its own, but the flavors only get better when it’s warmed gently in the slow cooker with additional spices and flavors added in! Our family recipes for spiced hot apple cider is one that I get excited for each fall. It makes for the perfect hot drink to serve at your cozy themed game night or any game night this fall/winter.
Here’s how to make it!
Spiced Hot Apple Cider Recipe
- 1 Gallon Apple Cider
- 8 Cinnamon Sticks
- 1 Naval Orange
- About 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- Optional: Rum of choice / Cinnamon Sticks for serving
- Pour cider of choice into the crockpot
- Add in the cinnamon sticks
- Take your orange and using a toothpick poke holes in all around the orange
- Stick one clove in each of the holes
- Place orange in the slow cooker (if your slow cooker is oval shaped like mine, the orange won’t be completely covered by the cider, that’s okay!)
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and set to low for 4 hours. If you’re in a rush I would still only use the low setting, the cider still heats up quickly within an hour or so but the longer it stays in the slow cooker the more the flavors combine and marinate together.
- When the timer is up it is ready to serve, if you aren’t ready yet just keep it on warming until you are.
- Serve warmed with a fresh cinnamon stick and rum of choice if you wish to make it an alcoholic beverage!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family and I do! If you make it be sure to comment down below to let us know or tag us on social media so we can see!!
Dinosaurs are one of the most popular themes whether for kids or adults! If you’re looking for ideas for your next dinosaur themed game night or party, we’ve got you covered. We'll go over some...
If you’re looking for some fun and enjoyable board games for your pirate themed game night, you’re in for a treat! With so many different themed board games currently on the market, we came up...